LOUISVILLE — In 2012, the Chesapeake Oil Co. purchased 291 acres of land comprising the Beck Industrial Park, an area the city of Louisville had developed with the hope of bringing more industry to the city.
Chesapeake has stated the plans are to construct facilities for its Utica shale operations on the site, which is located between Beck Avenue and State Route 44, south of Main Street. The facility will house at least three buildings, according to Keith Fuller, Chesapeake’s senior director of government affairs. An office building at least five stories high will be constructed, along with a shop where equipment can be worked on and another building to house Chesapeake’s affiliate oil field services companies.
Thus far, a road leading into the industrial park off State Route 44 has been constructed as well as a bridge to traverse over the portion of Nimishillen Creek that runs across the property near the entrance from Route 44. The city of Louisville had received a grant from Ohio Department of Transportation to pay for 70 percent of the $3.5 million road and bridge construction project, which Ault said will keep trucks off Beck Avenue and Georgetown Road by routing traffic into the site off Route 44. The city will pay the remaining 30 percent of the project.
Ault has reported Chesapeake is spending “tens of millions of dollars” for the balance of the site development. Pete Kenworthy, marketing manager for Chesapeake, recently reported the field office may be completed by the end of 2013, but he added that is probably optimistic, and said the completion may wind up being early in 2014.